2010 HdV Chardonnay
Late spring showers, ultimately delaying budbreak and lengthening flowering, marked an atypical 2010 vintage at Hyde Vineyard. Consistent and warm summer weather followed providing a slow and steady fruit development. In late September, our Chardonnay fruit achieved maturity (three weeks later than our average ‘vendanges’). Good fortune would have it that all of our Chardonnay was sourced before an abrupt and intense heat spell in late September.
The nose expresses pear, spice and orange peel undertones. On the palate the ubiquitous HdV minerality lingers in harmony with stone fruit and apricot characteristics. The multilayered palate is carried through by a steadying, persistent acidity for a long finish. A wine that displays the power of California fruit in part to the warmer weather yet is tempered by the restrained qualities that are Hyde Vineyard’s trademark minerality and freshness.
— Stéphane Vivier, Winemaker, HdV Wines
- Region: Napa Valley
- Appellation: Los Carneros
- Vineyard: Hyde Vineyard
- Age of vines: 21 to 31 years
- Geography: Eastern edge of the Los Carneros District
- Exposure: South by southeast
- Soil: Shallow loam over clay hardpan
- Subterranean: Ancient terraces and alluvial fans
- Acreage: 9.42 acres
- Production: 1,840 cases
- Harvest dates: September 28th, 29th & October 1st
- Bottling date: November 11th, 2011